Walk The Earth

Once, I was messed up. My life had fallen apart and I was lost in my self and the chaos of my feelings. So I dropped it all. I sold everything I owned and with nothing more than the pack on my back and the guitar in my hand, I trekked the highways and back roads of Canada from the East Coast heading... ? It eventually stopped, but one day, I shall pick up where I left off and maybe this time I won't go it alone.

Friday, May 17, 2002

Day 17 - Tatamagoughe

Date: May 17, 2002
Location: Mike's Place
Distance Travelled: *will update later

"Tatamagoughe"

I'm having difficulty with distances, so I'll wait until I reach Oxford to tally up again. Anyway, there are some nice chaps there at the Cellar Pub. It doesn't get too busy I would imagine. But these two fella's came in and the one, Mike, took a real interest in my guitar. I let him play some and we got to talking. Well we both like the old rock, so we decided, "hey, let's start a jam session over at the bowling ally!" So I took a look outside and thought to myself "there's barely enough room between these mountains for the motel and gas station. Where the hell is this bowling alley?"

Well it turns out these guys drove me over to the other coast to a logging town called Tatamagoughe (that's Ta-ta-ma-goosh). Skittles is the towns bowling ally, slots, pizza parlour and bar all rolled into one.  The owner eagerly helped set up the mic's and gave me a couple of rounds on the house. Now Mike, he must not have a head for booze, because he passed out on stage for a good hour. There was a kid named Ryan who came up and jammed with me while Mike was out. Around midnight, Mike got up and I drove him home.

We spent most of this morning in his beautiful house playing his guitars, (I broke a string last night and lost the peg; I'm carving a replacement now) and watching the tragically hip tour video. Mike put on a pink Floyd song called "several species of small furry animals gathered together and groov'n with a pict". We didn't know what a pict was so we looked it up in the dictionary but couldn't find it. The song almost made me go insane, for sure, the stangest most interesting peice of music ever. If it can be called that.

We made a quick trip to Skittles for pizza and to look for the peg but couldn't find it. Mike found his Capo that he didn't realize was missing. We sat and talked to some locals. Mike introduced me to his cousin. I can't remember her name, but she was cute. She and her friend had just finished work. They do the replanting of trees after the loggers go through and clear cut a big patch.

Anyway, after a few slices of pizza, Mike took me back to the Cellar Pub so that I may continue the journey uninterrupted. Thanks Mike, you're a cool guy. Look me up if you're ever in my area. I'll show you some cool jamming!!

I walked a few hours and camped near the 304 turn-off on another ATV trail. A much better spot than most of my sites. I read some Tibetan Wisdom and slept soundly.

--
Friar Greg

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers