Walk The Earth

Once, I was messed up. My life had fallen apart and I was lost in my self and the chaos of my feelings. So I dropped it all. I sold everything I owned and with nothing more than the pack on my back and the guitar in my hand, I trekked the highways and back roads of Canada from the East Coast heading... ? It eventually stopped, but one day, I shall pick up where I left off and maybe this time I won't go it alone.

Sunday, May 12, 2002

Day 12 - The Unknown God

Date: May 12, 2002
Location: Mudbanks of the Salmon River, Hwy 2 Overpass Truro NS
Distance Travelled: 0 km (130 km)

"The Unknown God"

Crude is a good word, not inaccurate for the phase I was in, too harsh I guess for what I should have been thinking. I don't know how to describe that. I'm in a place now where behind me lies the life I've repeated, and before me lies Frost's fork. I can let it go and be cursed to repeat it again, or take the road less travelled, and actually stop the cycle... youth is sooooo wasted on the young.

And welcome to this week's installment of "Where's Greg gonna sleep next?" Last week we left our intrepid voyager in the Nova Scotian city of Truro; where he met a tribe of Pentecosts and befriended one of their soldiers of God. Now prepare, as we give you the on-going saga of "Where's Greg gonna sleep next?"

Ok, so I'm still a little hyped from the coffee and my brief walk on the Trans Canada... Man they are driving fast!! I found myself on the wrong side of the river and only a 3 hour trek back through town would get me on the side I wanted... or, I could use the main highway. I opted for the shortest route which was not the safest. Now I've hitch-hiked on the 401 back home, but I stood at least a good 5-8 feet from the traffic. This bridge only gave me a 4' path between the barrier and the 140 kph transports. It was a rush.

Once on the North shore, I decided to camp out under the bridge. The traffic won't bother me. I recall stories from my mother of how she would vaccume my room while I was sleeping. The good news is, I'm on hard-packed mud. A big change from the stone shiatzu only 48 hours ago. As Rudy may be saying right now "ask and He shall provide".

Now I'll get back to that later. Let's start with breakfast... mmmm bacon, eggs, spiced venison and a banana, topped with a big glass of apple juice. I passed on the coffee. It was instant, and I'm not a barbarian :) I'm only kidding! Hey, I'm eating strait from a can of flaked turkey (which looks more like cat food). I just choose what I drink and I can't go back to instant coffee. Now I have a tune in my head "you don't mess around with..." that's it. I really don't like not remembering words to songs. If anyone remembers the song, I'd like to learn it.


update:
Jim Croche: "You Don't Mess Around With Jim"
 
 Uptown got it's hustlers
 The bowery got it's bums
 42nd Street got Big Jim Walker
 He's a pool-shootin' son of a gun
 Yeah, he big and dumb as a man can come
 But he stronger than a country hoss
 And when the bad folks all get together at night
 You know they all call big Jim "Boss", just because
And they say

You don't tug on Superman's cape
 You don't spit into the wind
 You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
 And you don't mess around with Jim

Well outta south Alabama come a country boy
 He say I'm lookin' for a man named Jim
 I am a pool-shootin' boy
 By name 'a Willie McCoy
 But down home they call me Slim
 Yeah I'm lookin' for the king of 42nd Street
 He drivin' a drop top Cadillac
 Last week he took all my money
 And it may sound funny
 But I come to get my money back
 And everybody say Jack don't you know

You don't tug on Superman's cape
 You don't spit into the wind
 You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
 And you don't mess around with Jim

Well a hush fell over the pool room
 Jimmy come boppin' in off the street
 And when the cuttin' was done
 The only part that wasn't bloody
 Was the soles of the big man's feet, ooh
 And he was cut in about a hundred places
 And he were shot in a couple more
 And you better believe
 There come another kind of story
 When big Jim hit the floor now they say

You don't tug on Superman's cape
 You don't spit into the wind
 You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
 And you don't mess around with Slim

Yeah, big Jim got his hat
 Find out where it's at
 And it's not hustlin' people strange to you
 Even if you do got a two-piece custom-made pool cue

Yeah you don't tug on Superman's cape
 You don't spit into the wind
 You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
 And you don't mess around with Slim


Anyway, to get back to my story. After breakfast, Rudy and I went to church which consisted of a mother's day sermon. Now I've been to quite a few baptist sermons, so today's was really low key. But the good reverend talked about the hnour and strength of a Godly woman. That was a very interesting speach. I personally believe in pre-marital sex and with cohabitaion of unmarried couples because; and this may sound crude; I don't want to marry a bad lay, or a slouch. I'm messy enough with my own belongings. So when I leave a mess, I want Hitler herself kicking my but to clean it up. As for Sex life, I want to be sure that she can return the kind of passion that I'm willing to put into a relationship, and not just first time. It has to reoccur regularly or it becomes boring and stale.

I've dated her, done that one, burnt the t-shirt. however, the Reverend's description of a woman who knows her worth and won't take garbage as a price, that's the kind of woman who earn's my respect. All through the sermon, a picture of the respectable woman was forming in my mind. The perfect wife for me. He may have described her as Godly, but to me, respect will do the same thing. Respect for her, and respect for herself.

Afterwards, while everyone was leaving, the Rev and I talked about traveling. He as a young man used to hitch-hike around the states and at one time was accused of a rape/murder that had occured near to where he happened to be. Against him was evidence like "lone traveller", "jewelery in his pocket", "carrying a strait razor". I don't blame anyone for carrying a knife, I carry one as a traveller myself. The jewelry was a cheap buy from a wholesaler who'd given him a ride a few days before. His saving grace was a journal he kept of his travels' much like this one. That journal probably saved him from a life in jail, or the death penalty (depending on which state he was in). Well this Rev was the kind of person who had well earned the respect, trust and admiration of his flock.

For the next hour or two, Rudy and I had coffee and we talked about our differences, my philosophy and his faith. I think we came to the point where we each understood the subtle differences in our platforms. I believe in the possibility of the unknown god, as was claimed by Socrates, and Rudy's faith was based on Peter's placing Christ on that empty pedestal.

--
Friar Greg

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers